Defeat to Borussia in the quarterfinals.

Goals from Brandt, Maatsen, Füllkrug and Sabitzer turned the tie around.


Borussia Dortmund: Kobel, Ryerson, Hummels, Schlotterbeck, Maatsen, Sabitzer, Can, Sancho (Özcan 86’), Brandt (Reus 90’), Adeyemi (Bynnoe-Gittens 66’) and Füllkrug.

Atlético de Madrid: Oblak, Hermoso, Giménez, Witsel, Azpilicueta (Barrios 46’), Molina (Riquelme 46’), Koke, M. Llorente, De Paul (Saúl 84’), Griezmann and Morata (Correa 46’).


Slavko Vincic, who cautioned the German team's Ryerson (43’) and the ‘Rojiblancos’ Azpilicueta (30’) and Hermoso (45+1’).


1-0, 33 min., Brandt, with a low drive inside the six-yard box.

2-0, 38 min., Maatsen, with a finish into the opposite corner following a run into the box.

2-1, 49 min., Hummels, own goal after deflecting a shot by Hermoso.

2-2, 64 min., Correa, with a tricky volley after a series of rebounds.

3-2, 71 min., Füllkrug, header from Sabitzer's cross.

4-2, 74 min., Sabitzer, with a shot from just inside the box.

The match kicked off at Signal Iduna Park with a Borussia Dortmund side intent on getting the upper hand in the match and showing a much more decisive attacking approach than in the first leg. Less than three minutes into the game, the home side had their first chance to level the tie when a clear-cut chance was denied by a superb effort from Azpilicueta. Simeone's players responded with Morata's one-on-one chance that he failed to convert and then De Paul’s shot from the edge of the area was met by a routine save from Kobel. All of this happened before the six-minute mark. After a flying start, the match settled down and Borussia began to dominate possession without really troubling Oblak. Meanwhile, Atlético were looking to get the ball back and launch a counter-attack with quick triangle passing, while keeping a low defensive line. After thirty-three minutes, Hummels played a ball into the box for Brandt to control who fired the ball past Oblak to make it 1-0. It was a tense moment for the Red and Whites, today playing in their blue and white strip, as Borussia were gaining momentum. The 2-0 lead came when Maatsen picked up the ball, burst into the box and doubled the home side's advantage. The second goal failed to produce a reaction in the remaining time until half-time, so the second half would be all to play for.

The second half got off to an inspired start when Hermoso's deflected header from a corner went down as a Hummels own goal to level the tie again on aggregate. Minutes later, Correa had a chance to make it 2-2, but his close-range effort in front of the Borussia goalkeeper narrowly missed the target. Just past the hour mark, Atleti found the goal they were looking for in a flurry of chances in which first Riquelme, then Correa and once again the Argentine shot at goal, with the latter levelling the game after executing a tricky volley. However, the home side were quick to respond with Füllkrug's beautifully executed glancing header from Sabitzer's cross. Then Sabitzer himself made it 4-2 in the next attack by firing a powerful shot just inside the post. After Borussia's fourth goal, the match started to wane, with the yellow and black team controlling the tempo and not giving away any chances to Atlético. Eventually, Vincic blew the final whistle, signalling the end of our Champions League campaign.