Atleti take on Chelsea in the Champions League last 16 first leg on Tuesday. The game is to be played at 9pm CET in Bucharest.
- We have faced the English club seven times in Europe (2W, 3D, 2L). We have both scored 11 goals.
- Atleti won the only Champions League tie we have played against Chelsea – the 2013/14 semifinals (3-1 on aggregate).
- This is the seventh time in the last eight seasons that we reach the Champions League knockout stages. On the other hand, Chelsea will look to qualify for the quarterfinals for the first time since 2014.
- Chelsea only trailed four minutes in the Champions League group stage – less than any other side. Moreover, only Manchester City (one) conceded less goals than the London club (two).
- The English side were one of three teams that won all three of their away games in the group stage, alongside Atalanta, Barcelona and Juventus. They also netted more away goals than any other side (10). However, their last away win in the Champions League last 16 came in March 2012, when they beat Benfica 1-0.
- Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud scored once every 28’ in the group stage (five goals in 142’) – the best average out of all players that scored more than one goal.