We use own and third-party cookies for improve our services. If you continue browsing, we consider you accept its use. Ok | More information


Vietto and Saúl put the qualifying round on track

Atlético de Madrid beat Reus Deportiu in the first round of the King’s Cup. The home team got ahead with a goal from Fran but Vietto tied shortly after and Saúl scored the winning goal.

PHOTO: Álex Marín

Reus Deportiu
: Edgar Badía; Cassama, Olmo, Dinis (Moyano, 81’), Alberto; Rafa García (Ricardo, 67’), Ramón Folch; David Haro, Fran, Alex Colorado; and Fernando (Edgar Hernández, 61’).
Atlético de Madrid: Moyá; Jesús Gámez, Savic, Lucas, Siqueira; Óliver Torres, Thomas, Saúl, Koke; Vietto and Correa.
Referee: Fernández Borbalán (Andalucian Committee). No bookings.
1-0.  31’. Fran
slides past Moyá in the box.
1-1.  37’. Vietto heads to the net a measured cross by Óliver Torres from the right.
1-2.  63’. Saúl, with a header to the near post, sends to the net a corner thrown by Koke.

The match had a vibrating start, with a Reus Deportiu that stood its ground against our team, but with a clear red and white domain and control of the match. First Vietto, and then Correa, could have opened the scoreboard but the first one met Edgar and the second one crashed his shot on the side of the net.  

The fight of the Catalonian team had its reward half an hour into the game, when Fran was able to take advantage of a ball in the box to beat Moyá. But the joy didn’t last long for the home team because a spectacular pass by Óliver Torres was placed in the net by a well-aimed header from Vietto.  

After the break, the match had only one colour, the red and white. Little by little, our players enclosed Reus’ goal and after a warning from Koke with a long shot, Koke himself delivered a corner-kick that Saul placed in the net. The scoreboard did not move anymore despite the attempts by our players to score more goals. The game was stuck by the force of Reus but in the end, the red and white quality decided the match. The qualifying round is on track and the second leg will be played the on the 17th at the Calderón.